But before you return to your trusty wand vibrator, hear us out – as with unlikely animal friendships and incognito ex-stalking, sometimes social media delivers, and in this instance TikTok is on to a winner. It’s called ‘the Rose,’ a (you guessed it) floral-shaped clitoral suction toy that wouldn’t look too out of place on your mantle.
What is the rose sex toy?
You might see the rose toy described as a vibrator, clit sucker or pleasure air toy – but they all amount to the same thing: a clitoral suction toy. Around 7cm tall, it looks like a stemless rose with a hole in the middle of the petals that cups your clitoris (or nipple – no judgement here) and sucks on it. It’s made of super-soft, medical-grade silicone – it’s a pleasure just to hold – and is uses magnetic USB charging, so there’s no bumpy wire ports to distract.
And for those who are asking – yep, it’s waterproof, so shower sex is fully on the cards.
How does the rose sex toy work?
The rose toy uses air technology to emulate the crème de la crème of cunnilingus – think suction, vibrations and a fluttering, licking sensation. Sounds good, no? It has 10 settings to flick through, from a steady rumble increasing across six intensities, to four different buzzing patterns.
What sets it apart from other clitoral suction toys, apart from its good looks, is its sheer intensity – as demonstrated in a number of videos by plunging the toy into water.
How do you use the rose sex toy?
Fully charged and ready to rock? Follow these simple steps to get the best from your rose toy.
- As with any sex toy, clean before and after use with mild antibacterial soap or sex toy cleaner.
- Remove any piercings or jewellery in the genital area.
- Get comfy and apply lube to the toy, yourself or both! Water-based lubricant is recommended to avoid damaging sex toys.
- Spread the labia slightly to expose the clitoris and enclose it with the head of the toy. Use light pressure to keep a tight seal.
- Explore the different settings and enjoy!
Why is the rose toy going viral on TikTok?
Let’s just say there are some sex positive queens (and kings) out there sharing some real authentic reviews. Shiny-faced and looking mighty pleased with themselves, users are flocking to TikTok to describe their experiences with the rose toy.
In one video with 3.9 million views, the slightly shell-shocked uploader claims she came in 30 seconds with the rose, hilariously branding it ‘disrespectful,’ as she didn’t have time to find herself a good video to enjoy alongside it. Meanwhile the comments below are filled with users claiming the rose works so fast it’s ‘stealing’ their orgasms from them, and warnings to put a towel down, should you choose to indulge yourself.
One user with 1.2 million views claims she came five times in five minutes (go gurl), while another warns not to be fooled by the toy’s rosy exterior – because, as this user attests, it will have you ‘squealing like a pig.’
You’ll also find a number of how-to guides: many users suggest not going in cold – give yourself a warm-up first, particularly if you’re sensitive down there – and taking a few breaks during use if it all gets a bit much (spoiler: it probably will).
However, some users who've purchased rogue roses have complained of faulty charging and pneumatic drill levels of noise, so make sure you buy a legit product.
What is the rose sex toy actually like?
All right, no more stalling - let’s get down to it. Does the rose toy live up to the hype? We were lucky enough to try the Lovehoney Rose Clitoral Suction Stimulator, but we have it on good authority that all rose sex toys perform the same way.
Firstly, the nitty gritty. The toy we tested had a host of practical features we loved:
- Comfortable – While not specifically designed to be ergonomic, it’s still easy to hold during solo or partnered sex – we recommend spooning or the chairman.
- 10 settings – Whoever said variety was the spice of life wasn’t kidding. The 10 functions – six levels of intensity and four patterns – can take you from warm up to blow up and everywhere in-between.
- Quiet – While no vibrator is totally silent, this was relatively quiet and won’t alert your upstairs neighbours. Although we can’t promise the same when it comes to you…
- Run time – Fully charged, this thing can go for 65 minutes. Trust us, you won't need that long.
- Magnetic charging – The rose sex toy charges quickly using magnetic USB ports, so there’s no obtrusions to spoil your play time.
- Waterproof – As mentioned, the rose toy is completely waterproof, so suitable for all your rub-a-dub adventures.
So, what about the sensation? To be honest, it takes a lot for us to part with our trusty Lelo, but in the name of scientific research we bravely stepped up. We started on the lowest setting and built our way up, and my god, it is powerful. Almost immediately the magic started to happen, and we had to put it through a number of tests to try out all the functions (tiny violin). I guess what we’re saying is it gets you there, and it gets you there fast. We can’t say we were timing it (way to kill the mood) but trust us.
The combination of airwaves and pulsations is truly mind-blowing, and you’d be forgiven for thinking you were at the mercy of some oral wizard. Of course, if you’re a gal who needs a bit of g-spot action too, you’d need an extra toy or one that delivers both clit and g-spot stimulation.
Rest assured we can safely say we’re as addicted as the rest of TikTok – for something so unassuming looking the rose toy sure does deliver. And from now on when we say bring me flowers, this is what we’re referring to.